reading list

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

{photo credit and graphic text: me}

one of my goals this year has been to read one book every month. that may not seem like very much to some of you, but given the amount of free time i have throughout my weeks (sometimes quite a bit, sometimes not a free moment), it has been the perfect amount. i'm not really limiting it to one book exactly, but that is my minimum goal.

it is so satisfying to finally point to books on my bookshelf and say "read that". it's the fourth month into the year, and so far, so good! (i did finish march's book on april 2nd, but i'm still counting it since i read the majority of it during march. i make the rules.)

while i do have a good amount of books that i already own that i want to read, do you guys have any suggestions for me? anything you've read lately that has stood out to you? do you lean towards fiction or non-fiction generally?

here are a few of the books i am currently reading or want to read this year:

tell the wolves i'm home : carol rifka brunt

the day i ate whatever i wanted : elizabeth berg

evolving in monkey town : rachel held evans

a million little ways: uncover the art you were made to live : emily freeman

in the grip of grace : max lucado

the book thief : markus zusak

the ghost at the table : suzanne berne

please share any suggestions you have for me! i trust your judgement. you're a wicked cool and smart bunch.

9 comments:

  1. MMMM The Book Thief. I hope you enjoyed it! I'm sure you know my feelings about it. As if I don't make them clear.

    By way of book suggestions. Girl. I always got you covered. You know how I do. I'm a fiction girl. Try anything by Rainbow Rowell. Eleanor and Park is amazing. My favorite of hers is Fangirl.

    The Virgin Suicides is a favorite of mine. Top 5 for sure.
    Paper Towns or Looking for Alaska by John Green. (i'm gonna get hipster for a minute and say I was a fan of his way back in 2007 before The Fault in our Stars took over.) These are his best two books. I wrote about Alaska on the blog. I'm sure I'll write about Paper Towns soon.

    So many other. So much blank in my mind. I just wrote a five page paper on Hamlet. Brain melted. YAY READING.

    Em
    Tightrope to the Sun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you inspired me to read the book thief! and john green. i just found his book paper towns at goodwill and snapped it up. pretty stoked to add that to my reading list. i've heard great things about rainbow rowell, too. there are just so many good books out there! more time in the day!

      Delete
  2. I have a "reading list" board on Pinterest that is becoming way to long and impractical. I haven't heard of a few of these and I can't wait to look them up! I absolutely love reading- there is nothing better than a great book on a sunny day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good idea with the pinterest board. i keep a running tab on my phone and in my head, but there are so many good reads out there these days. how will i ever get ahead?? i suppose i could listen to some on tape, but i just love the way paper feels in my hands. i just tried to read at the pool and i got rained out. boo!

      Delete
  3. Isn't that the best feeling in the world, to see a row of books on your self and know you read them all? You feel so accomplished and satisfied and like you really bettered yourself. IT's a most splendid joy.

    I really loved the book theif, I hope you like it too.

    My reccomendation is always Love is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield, it's the most amazing non-fiction story of love, loss and music. I love his narrative, he's so dorky and sweet. And for a book about such a terrible saddness and loss, it's still lovely and funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree! i like counting off the books i have read. it's super satisfying. but i don't have a problem chucking a book after i've read it (or halfway through) if i really didn't enjoy it. no sense in it taking up shelf space! i have read love is a mix tape. i didn't super love it, but i was definitely entertained. i love music so i really liked all of his musical references! such a sad and sweet story he holds.

      Delete
  4. Love Elizabeth Berg - did you like The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted? My favorite of hers is probably Dream When You're Feeling Blue. She has such a way with words, and usually very real-life story lines that are messy and sometimes painful. I'm in the middle of Book Thief right now... I love it, I just haven't made time to read as much lately. Do you have a Goodreads account? If so, I'll look you up to follow you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. girl. she is my absolute favorite! i went to a book reading/signing by her a few years ago, and i was star struck when it was my turn to talk to her. "uh…duuuh" basically. haha. she DOES have such a wonderful way with words. i love the details she puts in each story and character. i relate to almost every character! can't wait to start the book thief! you should do a book review on your blog when you're finished. :-)

      Delete
    2. oh, and i loved the day i ate whatever i wanted! really cute short stories.

      Delete

love hearing from my readers! xoxo

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground