england recap

Friday, December 20, 2013

{photo credit: me}

it's taken me so long to tell you guys about my trip to england because i'm still in deep denial that it's over. i wish really hard that when i wake up in the mornings, i'll be back in the land of british accents. coming off a vacation high is no joke. i need a vacation from my vacation. 

in a nutshell, the trip was wonderful. we had funnnn. we stayed in cambridge for the majority of our time with one day of sight-seeing in london at the end of the trip. 

cambridge is beautiful. it is so picturesque, and i'm jealous of our friends who live there. i literally saw literal thatched roofs. and on those thatched roofs there was moss. growing. 

we stayed with my roommate's boyfriend who is stationed there, and his apartment was within easy walking distance to most everywhere we wanted to go. we walked to markets and out for drinks and to evening church service and to restaurants and to our friends' house across the river. one afternoon i walked to a great coffee shop all by myself. proud moment for me. i get lost driving to work.

some of my favorite parts of the trip where the few times we went out running through the city and along the river. what a great way to see the sights! there were so many people out walking and jogging and a ton of crew teams rowing along the river. we ran through neighborhood streets, and i admired all of the cute apartments and houses that looked like something straight out of a storybook.

one morning our friends took us out punting along the river cam. punting in england does not mean the same thing it means here. my thought process: "we're going to the river to kick footballs around? i didn't bring a football. or any ball. how is this fun?" silly american. punting is basically like riding in a gondola. everyone piles into a boat with a lead person guiding the craft along the river using a long pole to push off the bottom. similar to a lazy river but without inner tubes and bad tan lines. 

on our last day, my friend liz and i took the tube into london. we only had one afternoon to do as much as we could so after we checked into our hotel, we got to walking. we saw a lot of the "big deal" sights. buckingham palace, st. james park, the london eye, big ben, parliament, westminster abbey, and a trip at harrod's for lunch and (window) shopping.

i honestly have barely touched on all of the things we did and the fun we had, but the post already feels too long. i know my own attention span is waning so yours must be completely shot. there is only so much interest you can feign in somebody else's vacation. i get it.

can we hear it for england? it showed us a really great time, and i hope we didn't overstay our welcome because my piggy bank is already jingle jangling with a few pennies i've saved up for our next trip.

cheers!!

cue inordinate amount of vacation photos.

{photo credit: me}

{photo credit: me}

{photo credit: me}

{photo credit: me}

{photo credit: me}

{photo credit: me}

{photo credit: me}

{photo credit: me}

{photo credit: a nice person}

{photo credit: me}

{photo credit: me}

{photo credit: me}

{photo credit: me}

{photo credit: liz}

{photo credit: me}

{photo credit: me}

{photo credit: me}

{photo credit: me}

{photo credit: me}

{photo credit: me}

8 comments:

  1. My goodness this is my dream vacation! I am so happy you had such a good time! What a gorgeous little town. I've been dying to visit London but even more than that I've wanted to just explore the little side towns. I love these photos!

    Em
    Tightrope to the Sun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was a total dream! worth wiping my savings account out for. :-) you will get to london for sure! maybe on your future book tour? hmmm?

      Delete
  2. I'm just gonna say it straight out- I am SO jealousssss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh man. i can't stop thinking about it. so wonderful!

      Delete
  3. Looks like so much fun! I love that photo of the pretty bridge above the water... looks like an enchanting place! I also think it's funny that in all of your photos it's overcast - that's exactly how I picture England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was a blast! and yes, overcast the whole time. but no rain! hurrah! so great grabbing coffee with you! we need to do it again. hope you and your family have a wonderful christmas!

      Delete
  4. Lovely trip! Makes me want to go back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, i am dying to go back already. you have been to london, right? we only spent a day there, but we saw a lot!

      Delete

love hearing from my readers! xoxo

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground