carmelitas

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

{photo credit: me}

i work in an office where food is never lacking. people bring their leftover snacks and desserts into the community kitchen all the time. some mornings i walk in and see a mound of chocolate chunk cookies and pecan turtle cake and salt water taffy piled up in the middle of the table. it is a blessing. it is a curse. 

carmelitas were first introduced to me by a sweet co-worker. i briefly mentioned them a few posts back and promised a full post in the near future. i try to make good on my promises here on the bloggy, so without further delay, i bring you the carmelita. 


*c a r m e l i t a s*

ingredients

{photo credit: me}

32 caramel squares, unwrapped

{photo credit: me}

1/2 cup heavy cream

{photo credit: me}

3/4 cup butter, melted

{photo credit: me}

3/4 cup brown sugar, packed

{photo credit: me}

1 cup flour

{photo credit: me}

1 cup rolled oats

{photo credit: me}

1 teaspoon baking soda

{photo credit: me}

6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

preparation

{photo credit: me}

combine caramels and cream in a small saucepan over low heat. stir until completely smooth; set aside.

{photo credit: me}

 in a separate bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, flour, oats, and baking soda. 

{photo credit: me}

pat half of the oatmeal mixture into the bottom of an 8 x 8 pan. (i don't own a 8 x 8 pan so i made mine in this pan. 9 x 13? results were still delicious.) bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. 

{photo credit: me}

remove pan from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over crust. 


{photo credit: me}

pour caramel mixture over chocolate chips.

{photo credit: me}

crumble remaining oatmeal mixture over caramel. return to oven and bake an additional 15-20 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned. 

{photo credit: me}

remove from oven and cool completely before cutting.*

{photo credit: me}

{photo credit: me}


{photo credit: me}

eat, gain weight, enjoy. 

*a stint in the fridge will help them cool off if you're pinched for time. they shouldn't be served cold, but all of that molten caramel takes a long time to cool down. they should be stored and served at room temperature. full recipe post here

No comments:

Post a Comment

love hearing from my readers! xoxo

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground